Monday, January 11, 2010

What the Lord spoke into my friends heart

I woke up (actually, I'm not sure I ever slept last night) I tossed and turned and I think I kept Jeff up all night too. So I woke up discouraged. In my email box was a message from a precious friend, I simply must post for all to be blessed by. This is from Stephanie...
Jen,

My heart is so full with love for you and Jeff. I cannot express in words just what you both mean to us. Time and distance has not dimished our love for you. We are committed to praying you both through this time of great need. Because of your great love for music - and the talent the Lord has given you in that area, I cannot help but think of the story in 2 Chronicles 20. I’ll try to give you a summary but you might enjoy reading it for your self. Jehoshaphat is afraid and is facing an enemy. He set his face to seek the Lord. He even proclaimed a fast throughout the land, for everyone to seek the Lord. His words in v 6; “O Lord, God of our fathers, are you not God in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. In your hand are power and might., so that none is able to withstand you.” Then he reminds God of how he provided in the past, and then says, “IF disaster comes upon us, … we will stand before this house and before you and cry out to you in our affliction and you will hear and save!….We are powerless against this enemy that is coming against us. We do not know what to do but our eyes are on YOU.”

Then the Sprit of the Lord comes upon a Levite. He gives them a word from the Lord, “Do not be afraid, and do not be dismayed at this great enemy, for the battle is not yours, but the Lord’s. … You will not need to fight this battle. Stand firm, hold your position and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf… Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed. Tomorrow, go out and face them, and the Lord will be with you.”

And they all fell down before the Lord and worshiped Him. So they all rose the next morning and went out to battle. But I find it so interesting that the first people sent to battle are the SINGERS. They went out first, singing, “Give thanks to the Lord for His steadfast love endures forever!” “When they began to SING, the Lord set an ambush against their enemy and they were saved!!!

So SING my friend, SING to the Lord who is the only one who is all powerful, who is all wise and all sufficient. SING with joy to your Creator. SING of His loving-kindness and faithfulness in all times. SING in sorrow when you are brokenhearted. SING to Him expecting Him to answer and move in a mighty way on your behalf. Pour out your heart to Him in song.

Piper has a great sermon on this passage by the way. It is called something like “Ambushing Satan with Song” and you can listen to it on the Desiring God website.

All I have to offer you that is of any worth at all are the precious promises in the Word of our Savior. Some of the following scriptures have been very encouraging to me during difficult times. I pray they will minister to you.

“I sought the Lord and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.” Psalm 34:4

“The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry. ……When the righteous cry for help the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. …The Lord is near to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit…. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, bur the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones not one of them is broken.” Psalm 34

“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you, I have called you by name, you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you.” Isaiah 43:1-2

“I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord, be strong, and let your heart take courage. Yes, wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:13 - 14

“Even to my old age and grey hair, You are He. You are the One who will sustain me. You made me and You will carry me, You will sustain me and You will rescue me. .. I will remember the former things those of long ago, You are God, and there is no other, You are God and there is none like You” Isaiah 46:4, 9

“Who can straighten what you have made crooked? When times are good, I am to be happy; but when times are bad, consider: YOU have made the one as well as the other.” Ecc 7:13 - 14

“Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve my life. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with Your right hand you save me. You oh Lord will fulfill Your purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever, do not abandon the works of your hand” Psalm 138:7 - 8

“I cry to you Lord in my trouble. Save me from my distress” Psalm 107:13

“I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone Oh Lord make me dwell in safety”

“Call upon me in the day of trouble. I will deliver you and you shall glorify me!” Psalm 50:15

“Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it all together. You hem me in , behind and before and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain it; Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?….If I say, ‘surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night” even the darkness is not dark to you, the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you. For you formed my inward parts, you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made… your eyes saw my unformed substance, in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet, there were none of them.’ from Psalm 139

God is our refuge and strength , a very present help in times of trouble. So, I will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging,…. I will be still and know you are God. You Lord Almighty are with me You are my fortress. Ps 46


You O God will never leave Jennifer, you will never forsake her. You are the only absolute guarantee she has in all of life. Help her to cling to YOU as the one thing she can never lose. Help Jen to comprehend what it means to consider it all JOY when she faces this trial, knowing that you are working in her to deepen her faith and develop perseverance that she might be complete and lack nothing. Help her know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are working all things together for her good and for your ultimate glory. Restore to her the joy of her salvation and grant her a willing spirit to sustain her. Lord, during this suffering let it be said that it served to advance the gospel. Make Jen’s Savior clear to all who are around her. Because of this would you cause others to be encouraged and cause her to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly. Would you use this to draw people to You Jesus. Lord, do great things for her. Fill her with joy. What she sows in tears, cause her to reap in joy, bringing others with her (Ps 126). O God help her to be willing to believe you , even in the middle of this terrible pain, knowing You will fill her with joy again and will bring forth a harvest from her life and her suffering will not be in vain. Fill her with your peace in your sovereignty and faithfulness. Be more real to her than you have ever been. Do the same in Jeff’s life dear Lord Jesus. We love them, grieve with them, rejoice with them, miss them and entrust them to your loving hand. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment