Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Brain-iversary: Neurologically Intact!

I am about a week past my two year "Brain-iversary" and I just received the results of my most recent MRI. The short answer is everything is fine. Although it took a long time for the doctor to get to that. Don't leave me in suspense! The longer answer is that the MRI indicated some post-treatment changes. This could be something or nothing. On the brain scan, it looks like a small bright area near where the tumor was removed. The Doc says that indicates increased blood flow, or could be scar tissue from the radiation treatment that was post-surgery. (This is my best translation of Doctor-speak). This area was visible last year at my one year check-up, and is now just a few milimeters bigger - indicating that we need to continue to watch it. My next MRI will be in one year.
The doctor indicated that the options are...
1. That it is nothing - just post-treatment changes.
2. That it is regrowth of the original Meningioma tumor. If it continues to grow at a slow pace, the treatment option would be just to zap it again with the Cyberknife. This might be several years off, depending on what future exams show. Slow growth would indicate it is still non-malignant.
3. If significant growth is noticed in previous exams, they would want to go in, remove it and biopsy it. Not good. But this doesn't seem to be the case. The change was very little at all in one year.

The most interesting news is, after a very thorough exam, which consisted of walking back and forth across the tiny exam room and then sticking out my tongue, the doctor pronounced me "neurologically intact"! It's just a good thing that I didn't tell him that I homeschool my three boys, randomly burst into silly songs and am considering completing attempting a triathlon after being a non-athlete my whole life. All of which has caused my friends, my kids and my husband to question my "intactness" at one time or another. (I'll just keep that my little secret...)

Neurologically Intact!!

You can find my Brain Tumor Story here, and pictures of the original tumor here. And plenty of other posts under "Brain Surgery" in my sidebar, if you just can't get enough.

2 comments:

  1. This is good news! And...thanks for sharing my blog down below. I just discovered that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to come pray with us at the surgery. And I love your blog- your insights are always appreciated. Thanks for thinking deeply and theologically about worship, and especially for modeling firm convictions and graciousness at the same time.

      Delete