Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wha'ts On My Mind?

I keep looking at that question when I open up Facebook, and I am struck at how that is the $20,000 question these days as I wait to find out what is going on with the "spot" on my brain. J finds it a little irreverant or maybe flippant, which I don't think I am - but I do need to not be too dour about it, or I may just get depressed and I don't think that would do anyone any good. I was thinking today that we are commanded to give thanks in all things. Maybe not FOR all things, but IN all things. I am thankful that I have a fabulous husband and that my boys are so wonderful. I am thankful that God is not surprised by any of this. I am so thankful for the hymns that I learned as a girl - especially the Swedish Baptist hymn, Day by Day... which has been coming to mind regularly.
Day by Day and with each passing moment, strength I find to meet my trials here. Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment, I've no cause for worry or for fear. He whose heart is wise beyond all measure, gives unto each day what He deems best - Lovingly, it's part of pain or pleasure, mingling toil with peace and rest.
Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Pow’r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.

It's good to know that He is Sovereign and He is Good.

1 comment:

  1. My uncle sent me this email, and I wanted to post it here, because it was such an enccouragement to me, I thought it might encourage others as well.

    Jennifer, thank you for sharing yourself in what is an awful and awesome situation. Our first reaction was the "ton of bricks" grief that you have this problem and are going to have to have surgery. Our second reaction, as we read and thought and prayed, was that God has prepared you for this (over a lifetime) and it will be a witness to His grace. In your blog you mentioned the hymn "Day by Day" which is also a favorite of mine. The calm rhythm and melody supports a message of trusting cooperation with God (not a fatalistic "whatever will be will be").
    Of course we are praying for you and specifically that tomorrow will be a special Lord's Day. We pray that you will be able to open the gates of your heart and mind and say "Let the King of Glory come it!"
    Love,
    Kay and al

    ReplyDelete