Sunday, January 10, 2010

Completely Overwhelmed

Jeff and I are amazed and humbled at the incredible outpouring of support we have received. We were explaining to the boys how many people have said they are praying for us - people from our churches that we grew up in, people from our parents churches, people from Jeff's office, people from the church where we met and where we went when we first got married and of course from Heritage, where we attend now. Even some people we have never met, our friends and family all over the US and the world - Zambia to the Netherlands to Louisiana, Florida, Seattle, Texas, Missouri, Kansas and right here in Castle Rock! (Hope I didn't leave anyone out.) We have had offers for people to take care of the kids, make meals and even clean house! Most special to us has been specific words of encouragement through this blog and facebook when I asked for scriptures and hymns that are meaningful - we are amazed at the way the Holy Spirit spoke to us through his speaking to you all and through you all. What a wonderful way God has ordained to support us in our time of need by sending us Christian brothers and sisters who can bear our burdens and encourage us with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit that lives in each of us. If you are a believer, but don't have a church home, I encourage you to find one so you can feel the love of God through the body of Christ - people who can be his hands and feet to you in your time of need.
ONE OTHER THING...
A friend sent a specific request that I thought was a good idea, I will post what she said here:
It would be great if Jeff could post to your blog (or whatever mass communication means you decide upon) often, and include specific things that we can be praying about. You have such a great support system and everybody wants to help. Knowing what we can specifically pray for helps us feel like we are doing something, and you will reap the benefits! Pain control, nausea, better rest, the right nurses, strength, dizziness, a good attitude...even things that might seem silly or minute...have Jeff get the word out. We did this with my nephew who had cancer last year, and it was amazing to hear reports of those prayers being answered. It made me feel better knowing what I could do to help him even when I was hundreds of miles away. As people would post to their website, the flood of people praying for his needs was so evident and so cool. (BTW...he is strong and healthy and was throwing my kids around while we were in IA over Christmas!).
So we will be doing our best to post very specific requests....STARTING WITH: I am most anxious right now about hugging my boys before I leave for the hospital - without blubbering and worrying them. I am nervous about making it through the surgery without any unexpected complications and leaving my boys without a mom. Pray for peace for Jeff as he has the same concerns.

4 comments:

  1. Throughout most of church service, your family was on my mind. I just kept repeating the Bible verses that have helped me through some difficult times. Sometimes I pull out one part of a phrase depending on the situation. Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct thy path."

    I'll be saying more prayers tomorrow as you prepare for surgery - for your strength, that you'll gain comfort from the Lord...for not only yourself but for also knowing that He is going to comfort your family, that He will give your husband strength to be there for you and for your kids. I'll pray for the surgeons performing the surgery tomorrow afternoon. Throughout this whole experience, we know that He has a purpose for this and He is always with us. May God bless all of you. Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Paul and Lucia:
    "Jen and Jeff, you know I haven't looked at FB in a few days other than to accept my brother's friend request. I just happened to see a post by Sarah Eye (while killing time at a stoplight - forgive me) and just learned of your surgery. I'm ashamed to say how infrequently I truly pray (not just mouthing words), but I guarantee that Lucia and I will be genuinely praying for you. If we were there, we would be with you doing all we could to help. I'll post something or email Jeff, but knowing his internet proclivities, it could be a while before he sees it. So please let him know I am thinking of him too. God will take care of you. --Paul"

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my cousin, John:
    Cuz Jenny,

    Please know that "Team Reimer" is on our knees in prayer for you. Ellie and Abby are little praying machines, - and we know that the Lord works only for good. Our girls are to the point where they love praying for specific people, and then standing back and watching the Lord work. - its fun as a parent! - Therefore, it looks like you will be educating more that just your own children through this chapter in your life. Thank you for providing the blog and please have Jeff keep us all posted!
    The alarm is set on my blackberry for Monday 3:45 mountain time, and at that time, my world will stop and I will be praying!
    Go get em!!

    With MUCH LOVE, John, Cindy, Abby and Ellie
    --------------------

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my cousin Liz:
    "You have probably heard alot of stories about friends of friends who have been through similar situations. I don't know if they ever help or not. Everyone is so different. Just like hearing stories when you are pregnant! But I have one more. 20 years ago on Christmas Day we got a call from a good friend telling us that a mutual friend had a brain tumor. At that time we all spent New Year's Eve together and we were all together that year as well. Ron was scheduled to have surgery on the 3rd or 4th, I can't remember exactly. It was a quieter celebration and ended earlier than usual, we made our usual predictions for the coming year and everyone of us predicted that the surgery would go well and there would not be any lasting effects. We were all correct! Since then Ron has been president of two companies, fathered 3 beautiful children and continued to be a good friend. His tumor was located on a cyst that was on the dura. The Drs. thought the cyst had developed after a head injury at some time in his life. No clue about the tumor, it was benign and we still tease him about the surgery making him smarter than he was before! Our prediction for this year is that your surgery will go well with no lasting effects. Our prayers are with you and your family tomorrow and always. Love....liz and her boys."

    ReplyDelete